Friday 10 February 2012

Railbandhu-a fulfilling experience

We all find trains very fascinating and enjoy the journey  as it is far more comfortable than all modes of transport.I have always loved travelling by trains.It makes you reflective,seems like life's journey.Only if we could learn how to transcend the pleasure of meeting and pain of parting how easy life would  be!Only if we just become witness to all the passing events n activities of life as we do during the journey how comfortable life would be without any complexities n complication which result from our participation!
I love travelling by Shatabadi Express between Chandigarh and New Delhi which takes just three hours fifteen minutes during which half the time you are busy with snacks,tea,coffee/meals etc. which are served.
Last evening my journey started as usual.As I was alone I started reading the newspaper to keep myself busy and spent about half an hour reading useless news and articles of no substance  which is  common these days and leaves us with an insipid taste.
In my quest to find something else to read I laid my hands on a magazine captioned ' Railbandhu' which had been lying at the back of the seat in front of me.It was Jan2012 issue,published by Indian Railways  .While scanning the pages I was surprised to find it as one of the most interesting magazines I had ever read and it did not allow me to lay my eyes off it till the end of my journey.It contained a wide variety of very interesting ,informative,refreshing,beautifully   and aesthetically presented articles  with lovely photographs.
Two articles on Indian Railways related to two very prestigious trains- one The Punjab Mail and the other The Dibrugarh-Kanyakumari.The Punjab Mail  completes 100 years in 2012,it used to connect Bombay with Peshawer before partition - a distance of about 2500 kms and after partition connects Mumbai with Ferozpur in Punjab( about 1800 kms.).It started with steam Engine in 1912 but now runs on an electric engine . Railways' Tableau  represented this train  with the three different engines-steam,diesal.and electric  on the Republic Day this year.
The train connecting Dibrugarh with Kanya kumari is the longest more than3000kms and passes through a vast variety of relief features,cropping patterns and cultures.
Articles on hill resorts of western ghats,temple of south India,Beaches of south India,Indian Tiger,Skiing spots around Manali and cultural fairs and fests of India were equally enjoyable.
Many readers in the letter to the editor column had requested Indian Railways to make this  magazine  available on book shops  and online also so that all the interested   people can enjoy this treat.At present it is available only on Shatabadi Express and Rajdhani Express trains to be read by the passengers during the journey .I did not see anyone reading it in our compartment.
It was indeed a very fulfilling experience which uplifted my spirits.I wish it is made available to public.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Munna Bua, this is a lovely post. I too am thrilled by train rides. In fact, I am looking forward to a journey by train soon from Connecticut to Washington, D.C. :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Rita.I know about your entire programme including the train journey.Wish u a very happy n enjoyable trip.Come back with renewed energy n uplifted spirits.All the best with love-Munna Bua

      Delete