Thursday 19 January 2012

women enpowerment

My first exposure to discrimination against girls was at age of five.My father was posted in a  small town of Punjab.I was taken for admission to class 1,I was shocked to see the state in which school was operating.
 It was primary single section school in which there was only one teacher for classes 1to 5,the building was an old hall with no walls n all classes  sitting in separate groups under group leaders with a rod in their hands , shouting at the top of their voice.The building should have been demolished long back.The teaching included only reading n writing of hindi,n counting numbers,tables, additon ,sustraction sums etc upto hundred.My father  had joined as Headmaster of the Boys' High school which presented a contrast to girls' school-had a vast beautiful campus with all infrastructural facilities in all areas required for all round development of students.My father was upset about the girls' school but there was no altenative as that was the only school available.My elder sister who was in class 6th had to be admitted in a boarding school in a city nearby.Though I did not raise any question but this discrimination got registered .
The second episode which left a scar on my tender mind was the marriage of a very pretty n lovable young girl from a family  opposite to our residence.The family was that of well to do landlords n she was the only daughter.The marriage was a great spectacle to watch n everything ,seemingly, ended happily.The speculations started when the girl was never sent back for a year ;n finally there was news that she had been brought back n admitted in a hospital.My mother went to the hospital taking me, a six year old child, to see her;n what we saw there was a lifeless skeleton looking blankly at us-there was no pain,no feelings no tears ,she passed away after a few days.I still do not know what the butchers had done to that ever smiling princess.This wounded the little girl I was .
In the same town there was a monument called "satian di bowli' where a fair was held every year to pay tributes to them.The story was that a rajput man of that town had two wives.The ladies were not allowed ever to  go out except with their husbands though the husbands had the right to go anywhere -drink,dance  or for any entertainment show.Once there was a religious street play in the town in the neighbourhood.These two ladies could not control their zeal n went to see the play without their husband who was not in town.Somehow the man got to know about it n the punishment awarded to them was that they were dressed up like brides,taken around the town n finally buried alive at the place which became a place of worship.What impression did it leave on the mind of a child can be well imagined.
Besides,my general observation was that girls were just to obey whatever was ordered,do all household chores all thru the day without any appreciation n had no access to any expenditure or any life of their own.
Based on all these observations my conclusion was that there can not be any change in the life of women  without  access to higher  education followed by economic independence.
I struggled to complete my higher education n took up teaching as my profession because it was my firm belief that thru this profession i could contribute to some extent to improve the lot of girls  by guiding girls,boys n parents to respect the individuality of girls n let them lead a respectable life .I think many of women of our times felt the same way n grew to lead an independent n dignified life.
But alas not much has changed -just see the constantly falling sex ratio in Punjab .It is appalling to see the publicity of welfare schemes launched by the present Govt. for the girls-providing a sum of Rs..... at the birth of  a girl child  n a sum of Rs...... as dowry at the marriage of a girl.will these mercenary schemes help in the empowerment of women?

5 comments:

  1. Sorry,In the Heading Empowerment has been posted as enpowered .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for writing this as it provides the background context for some of what happened in our family as we were growing up. It is excruciatingly painful to read this but also very purifying to face what each one of us has put himself or herself through. My understanding of God, my real Self and the world has changed continuously ever since childhood and where I am today, I am convinced of the absolute justice of the Divine. I admit my mistakes and behavior unbecoming of a child of God, but I did not know any better then and apologize to all for having done many things that should not have been done. God is nothing but Love and Peace, and each one of us is a divine child, always eligible to claim one's divine inheritance. So we express regret for the past and leave the future in the hands of God while staying present to our pre-sense Divinity. Peace to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arvind ,I am so happy to get ur response Thank u so much,this is certainly an inspiration.I really do not know what forces r driving me to all this but I love this tech toy ,it is not only connecting me to people to share love ,peace n happiness but also to myself.New links r opening n I am driven to write whatever comes to my mind.I want ur feed back to know ur reaction.Pl. do not hesitate to point out when n where I go wrong.love

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see the posts! I am amazed at the speed at which you have picked this up! Its a great post and I can see it is coming from your heart! As Rochu said, on her facebook message, we are proud of the upbringing and value systems inculcated! Although education is the only way for this change to happen but the education in present form and shape leaves a lot to be desired. The truth is that, by far, teachers are not teachers by choice, as was the case with you. When you are not passionate about what you do, work with minimal resources, without recognition and appreciation and live in fiercely competitive and increasingly materialistic world there is a lot to be desired in what the output is. Only a systemic change can turn around things overall. The corruption crusade, on the lines of what Anna started, could be a change agent! We are not suffering from corruption as it is thought of, as a mere lubricant of the system, but its corruption of the mind, values and thoughts! Its now deep rooted, with cascading effect on all aspects of life, systems, processes, culture...! Only if this is addressed will many ills facing our nation would gradually wane out, including the issue raised by you! It might take a generation but the process should at least start! Economic progress is accelerating the change that is folding out by its own, by virtue of individual efforts and whatever little that government has done......but there is still a long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks SarthaK.It is a very thought provoking comment.I am Proud of u for being u ;n also for ur apt analyses n presentation.Love

    ReplyDelete